Monday 31 October 2016

When an Owner Becomes Delivery Crew


When Carlos bought his Fountaine Pajot 60 Eleuthra he contacted Reliance Yacht Management to deliver her, but he had a special request.


Despite no previous experience of catamarans, Carlos wanted to be part of the crew. He also wanted his two sons to join him on the delivery from La Rochelle to New York. This set some particular challenges to Reliance Yacht Management in managing the delivery and finding the right captain for the job. Fortunately Reliance was able to schedule leading Delivery Captain Nic Boutteloup.  Nic had the right temperament, communication skills and big catamaran experience.


Now the delivery has been completed, the Owner reflects on the adventure;
“I was lucky to have my two sons join me on the transit. So it was a great time to spend with them since they were already on their own. I had experience but this was my first time on a catamaran.  That's why I needed a captain capable of showing me the differences between monohull and multis, I was fortunate to have Nicolas as Capt. He was young, experienced, energetic and a terrific member of the crew, a lasting friendship.

I would do it again for sure and yes I recommend to anyone buying a boat  to cross an ocean. It is invaluable experience .

I now sail our catamaran all over with only my wife as crew and we love it. It would have taken me a long time to acquaint myself otherwise not only with catamaran sailing but also with the complicated systems of a big boat.”

Further, Carlos gave Reliance Yacht Management a resounding reference, saying;
 “I need to thank you and congratulate you and Reliance for the delivery of the Eleuthera 60 MIRELOS. Our expectations were very high and they were met on every aspect of the delivery from the initial contact with Reliance to the tie up at our marina. I am extremely grateful that you chose for us  Captain Nicolas Boutteloup. Nicolas is young,  energetic, extremely knowledgeable in all marine aspects, boat systems and the handling of catamarans.”